Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sexist?

I would not say that I am sexist. However, I do know that I follow some "gender rules" for sure. Being down here a few days I can see why- like how the surgeon would make eye contact with Uncle Mike, not me. Now, I am not down here playing the weeping, distraught daughter card. I am calm and in control and getting things done. However, this man would not make eye contact at first. Now after about a half an hour of talking he started to realize that I have some intellect- that I was asking the right questions, not twirling my hair, and comprehending most of what he said without the use of a medical dictionary.

All that said, I am glad Uncle Mike is here because he can simply do some things I am incapable of- he is pragmatic and that is what a need a little pragmatism to get me through. He got all the stuff to the VA (Vetran's Affairs) office and he is finding out about social services and lists of care givers, etc. Also, he can fix this broken cabinet, broken cold water spigot in the kitchen, and do something about getting these leaves blown for me. I am sure I could have gotten these things taken gare of, after all, I know where "Handy man" falls in the alphabetic sequence and know how to dial a phone, but I will admit- I found a screwdriver and thought "see she has all the tools we need".

Thank God for Uncle Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment