Friday, December 10, 2010

Update #1

Well, everyone wants to be updated and I simply cannot keep up with all the phone calls and texts. Plus we can't use our phone in the ICU so I have decided to update here as much as possible. If you do not know what I am talking about and need to be contacted in person, please do not read on- call me. I think all the family is finally in the loop now though. I hope this does not seem too impersonal, but after all it is 2010 so information distribution is a little different these days.

On Monday, mom went in for a colonoscopy and they found a mass. On Wednesday, she went in to have it removed. At this time we do not have the official pathology report but we are certain that she has colon cancer. It is likely that it has been there for at least a year- she got very sick last year and this time and got an abnormal CT. She was unaware that the CT was abnormal- we are not sure what happened there- malpractice? denial? hopefully we will get some answers once she is feeling up to it. The cancer is stage 3 or 4 and incurable. However, if she concedes to treatment, she could have years still. Without treatment, the prognosis at this point is unknown.

The most important thing right now is to get her walking and moving and out of the ICU. If she does not follow doctor's orders, she is actually in more danger right now from the surgery than from the cancer itself. So far, she is complaining, but doing what they tell her. We hope she will be home in time for Christmas.

Beyond that, she is reflecting upon dad's experience with cancer treatment, her previous bouts of treatment for breast cancer and her time as a hospice nurse and is stating that she will not do treatment. We will see if she continues to feel this way in the upcoming weeks. This is really not the time to be discussing treatment, right now all we want is for her to heal up and get out of the ICU.

As for me, I am here at mom's house with my Uncle Mike. He is helping me take care of some things, process the information, and just generally keeping me company. My niece Christrina is also here and we are helping one another cope. We visit mom- but our visits are rather short as she is in and out of sleep and needs a lot of rest at this time. I am being strong. I am not sure where this strength came from, the only thing I can think is that I am in shock. We are cleaning house, planning Christmas and otherwise just keeping our minds occupied.

I will post more as I know more. If you are trying to get a hold of me and can't please understand that I don't have access to my phone all day and that I am pretty beat at night. I appreciate the support of my friends, family and colleagues. Thank you all so much for the love and concern.

If you would like to contact mom the address here is:

76 Turtle Ln
Dadeville, AL
36853


HFH

No comments:

Post a Comment